July 24, 2006
Crooked Sky Farms sometimes sends us nopalitos (prickly pear pads) that are already trimmed and de-thorned. Here are some ideas on how to prepare them:
First, slice pads in strips. Steam or boil for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
1. Serve with lemon or lime juice.
2. Stir fry with other vegetables
3. Serve as a salad with finely diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeños and season with vinegar, salt and lime juice.
4. Grilled: coat nopalitos with pepper, salt, and other spices. Grill until tender and slightly browned. Season with lime juice and a little olive oil. It’s best to slice the nopalitos after grilling them.
5. Mix with scrambled eggs, and sprinkle with salt and pepper and chile flakes or powder.